There is one thing that a lot of affiliate managers don’t know how to do, and that is to be an affiliate.
While it is not a requirement for most affiliate manager positions, I think it ought to be.
How better to understand and assist affiliates with the many pitfalls and challenges that come with being an affiliate?
So let’s get started, affiliate manager. I’ll take you through the steps I go through to create an affiliate site myself:
- Pick a Topic for Your Site
- Narrow Down Your Potential Topics
- How to Create Content for Your Site
- Become an Expert on Your Topic
- Make “Ask the Expert” Videos
- Google Alerts as a Content Source
- Brainstorm a Domain Name
- Register a Domain Name
- Website Hosting
- Setting Up Your Hosting Plan
- Connecting Your Domain to Your Host
- Installing WordPress
- Installing a WordPress Theme
- Configuring WordPress
- WordPress Plugins
- Using Email to Drive Traffic to Your Site
- Create an Email List
- Add an Email Form to Your Site
- RSS to Email
- Email Newsletters
- Email Follow-Up Series
- Secure Your Social Media Names
- Register Your Name on Twitter
- Create a Facebook Page
- Register Your User Name on Social Media Sites
You probably noticed there is no mention of applying to affiliate programs, putting up links, etc. That’s because you have to provide some unique value proposition and build an audience before you can monetize.
Get working on that and the affiliate part of it comes next.